Dear CANSEA members, CANSEA, CAN South Asia (CANSA) and Global Network of CSOs for Disaster Reduction (GNDR) will conduct a joint webinar on:
Voices of Asia-Pacific’s Frontline Communities Experiencing Loss and Damage.
CANSEA is actively involved in the design of this webinar and will also be represented by the moderator and a speaker.
The key objectives of the webinar, which is also a follow up to a decision at the annual strategy meetings to hear directly from frontline communities, are to:
- Facilitate better understanding among CSOs on the issue of loss and damage by providing updates on COP 26 advocacy outcomes and developing advocacy actions for COP 27
- Create space for most-at-risk communities to share their experiences and amplify their perspectives in the climate justice debate on loss and damage.
- Strengthen collaboration amongst CSO networks and CSOs to enhance climate change advocacy in the region, especially on loss and damage.
- Build a road map to COP 27 for ongoing engagement of CSOs from now until COP27.
Topics and Speakers
- Keynote speech – Climate loss and damage and COP 26 outcomes by Harjeet Singh, Senior Adviser, Climate Impacts, CAN International.
- Community experience of loss and damage in Sarawak, Malaysia by Celine Lee, SAVE Rivers.
- Impact of cyclone and salination of coastal region in India leading to forced migration by Tapas Mondal, Chief Organiser of Sundarban Jana Sramajibi Mancha, Bengal, India
- Advocacy action from Vanuatu’s International Court of Justice initiative to protect the rights of present and future generations by Lavetanalagi Seru, Pacific Islands CAN
- Climate impacts on Fiji, a small island nation, and CSO engagement with communities for adaptation and advocacy by Sashi Kiran, FRIENDS Fiji
Please join us for an impactful webinar with most-at-risk communities sharing their experiences. We look forward to your participation!